Once your rod starts to bend and you know that you have a big fish on the hook, you will realize that fishing is not just another hobby. Fishing is the most inexpensive, versatile and adventurous outdoor activity. If you are thinking about getting into fishing, you should definitely consider kayak fishing!
Some years ago you could not enjoy fishing without a boat, until recently. Kayak fishing gained in popularity the last 6-8 years, so you will not find many information on the net. Our fishing experts will explain some useful information about how to choose a kayak and give you the best kayak fishing tips!
Let’s go paddling!
A few words about kayak fishing
Undoubtedly, fishing from a kayak is a unique experience and if you like being on the water, this is definitely a hobby for you. Before you hit the water you should learn some things about this hobby. Thousands of years ago, the first fishermen used to build kayaks out of tree trunks in order to fish.
Today, we are using kayaks for recreational purposes. Consequently, the shape of a kayak has changed over the years. There are many vessels on the market suitable for river fishing, lake fishing or even ocean fishing (if you follow some specific safety rules). Just to let you know, if you want to pursue fish by trolling without using your paddle, you will have to mount a trolling motor on your kayak.
Click here to learn more about kayak trolling motors.
Personally, I have been fishing from a kayak since I was very young, so I will provide you with the best kayak fishing tips. But, the first thing you should take into consideration is the reason why you should take up this amazing sport! Specifically, the reasons are ample, but we are going to tell you the most important.
5 Reasons Why Kayak Fishing is Great
Why is kayak fishing one of the greatest sports? Here are the top 5 reasons.
- Inexpensive Hobby: Kayak fishing is ideal for those who do not want to spend a fortune on buying expensive boats and motors. You probably know that a power boat costs 7000$ up to 25000$!
- Approach unknown waters: It goes without saying that you cannot approach some places with a normal boat. Fortunately, with a kayak you can approach any place! For example, river estuaries, weedy lakes etc.
- Eco-Friendly Fishing: Of course you can use a kayak trolling motor, but it is not a necessity! Your paddle works like a “motor”. It is scientifically proven that the motor sound scares the fish. Consequently, kayak fishing is the best way to approach quietly your favorite fishing spot.
- Use numerous techniques: Modern angling kayaks are well-equipped so you can use different techniques. Vertical fishing, trolling, jigging, baitcasting, spinning or even spear fishing!
- Portability: Since you are reading our article, you are a fisherman so you know that there is no way to transport a boat without a trailer. A kayak is made of lightweight materials so you can easily transport it on your car or in your car if you have an inflatable vessel.
Kayak fishing tips for hikers: There are some inflatable kayaks specially designed for hikers. These kayaks are transformable as you can carry them like a backpack and easily inflate them really fast.
Choose The Best Fishing Kayak for your Fishing Needs
Firstly, you should choose the right kayak for you. It is the most important thing before you hit the water.
#1 Right Material
Generally speaking, there are two angling kayak types, inflatable and plastic kayaks.
PLASTIC/POLYETHYLENE KAYAKS: The majority of fishing kayaks are made of plastic just because they are really durable especially for anglers. They consist of multiple polyethylene layers and they are sturdy. Many of them come with fishing kayak accessories like rod holders and additional fishing gear compartments.
INFLATABLE KAYAKS: A few anglers claim that inflatable kayaks are not suitable for fishing. However, we would like to underline the fact that there is absolutely no danger if you will use an inflatable kayak as a fishing kayak. Of course, a sharp knife could puncture the fabric, but a hook cannot damage it.
In addition, all inflatable kayaks consist of multiple air-chambers so if you puncture accidentally one air-chamber, there are two or more air-chambers to help you approach the coast safely.
#2 Which is the Perfect Size?
SIZE: There are many kayak fishing boats on the market and the size plays an important role here. You can choose the size according to your height and sitting style (Click here to learn about the best kayak seat https://themarinebattery.com/best-kayak-seat/ ). If you choose a sit in kayak and you are 6 feet tall, the best size would be 9-15 feet long.
#3 Which is The Best Hull For Kayak Fishing?
The hull of your fishing kayak will definitely affect your fishing experiences, so you will have to choose wisely. Rounded, “V-Shaped” or flat are the most common hull shapes
- Flat: If you are fishing in shallow waters, a flat hull kayak is the perfect option for you. Kayaks with a flat hull offer stability and maneuverability and there is no danger to damage the hull due to sharp rocks. Another advantage is that newbie paddlers will feel more comfortable in a flat hull kayak.
- Rounded: This hull is ideal for fishing in small and large lakes and kayaks with a rounded hull are considered to be high speed kayaks. The main advantage is that they offer tremendous maneuverability so they are the best bass fishing kayaks!
- V Shaped: As a kayak angler, I would like to tell you that “V-shaped” kayaks are not recommended for fishing because they are quite tippy and you can easily lose your fishing equipment!
#4 Kayak Fishing Accessories will make Your life Easier
All we avid anglers know that you cannot go fishing without your fishing gear! A few years ago, kayak manufacturers did not construct special angling kayaks. Fortunately, today we can find fishing kayaks on the market, fully equipped and they are considered to be good fishing kayaks.
Rod Holder: A rod holder is the most important part of your fishing kayak! There is nothing worse to paddle and at the same time hold your rod. Personally, I lost 3 rods while paddling. For a “hands-free” fishing experience, just choose a kayak with a rod holder or install one.
Special airtight Compartments: Waterproof airtight compartments are extremely useful. Store your mobile phone or baits.
Fish Finder Holder: A fish finder could be really handy especially if you are fishing in big lakes or saltwater. There are many small fish finders which you can easily mount on your kayak.
#5 When it’s windy, stay close to the shoreline
It goes without saying, that a windy day shall not discourage you from fishing. The only rule you will have to follow is to stay close to the shore especially if you have an inflatable kayak. As far as fishing is concerned, just use heavier lures.
#6 Keep Your Rod Tip High
So, you are trolling with your kayak and you get some bites. In a few minutes you have a big fish on the hook. Don’t panic! Every movement could tip your kayak over. Stay calm and keep your rod tip almost vertically and reel in.
#7 Safety is the most important Rule
A perfect sunny day can easily turn into a windy bad weather. Always check the weather before going out. An extra paddle could be helpful. Of course, the weather is unpredictable and it can change suddenly, so it would be a good idea to inform somebody about your paddle plan.
Another thing that you should take into consideration is to avoid high traffic areas. Boats move really fast and there is nothing worse to get run over by a powerboat.
#8 Get a tandem fishing kayak to enjoy fishing with your friends or family
Fishing with your friends or family could not only be fun, but also safer. A tandem kayak consists of two or more seats and it is a great way to spend some time with your friends. Moreover, it is less expensive to buy a tandem kayak than two kayaks.
The only downfall here is that a tandem fishing kayak may not have enough space for your fishing equipment.
Finally, kayak fishing is the best way to spend some time on the water! The only thing you need is a kayak, your fishing gear and good company! Hopefully, you like our kayak fishing tips, but if you want to add something please drop a comment in the comment box below!
Thank you for reading and stay tuned on themarinebattery.com for more tips!